Discussion: Cruz Disobeys Gun Safety Rules In Interview With CNN (VIDEO)

Discussion for article #242478

Actually, that is an over-under shotgun and he is holding it properly.
You can see there are no shells in the chambers and it will not fire when broken open like that.
I detest Cruz for lots of reasons, but this is reaching…

43 Likes

He’s a graduate of the Dick Cheney pheasant-hunting school of gun-safety.

10 Likes

Cruz dreams of slinging his penis over his shoulder like that.

And yeah, he’s a fucking idiot when it comes to weapons… much like the Sarah Palin video of her firing an assault rifle and nearly crushing the right side of her face. If the trainer hadn’t been there to pull the butt down to her shoulder she’d have been toothless or lost an eye at best.

The defenders of gun freedom are morans when it comes to knowing jack shit about weapons.

7 Likes

He’s a detestable human being but I’m giving him a pass on this one. Yes, you always should have the muzzles pointing downward. But like Khaaannn says, the action is open and both barrels are visibly unloaded. The weapon can’t shoot anyone, period. I’ve seen people carry this way. It’s comparable to saying he’s not a safe driver because in a video you can see his hands aren’t at 10 and 2. He probably did 11 worse things than this before breakfast that day.

35 Likes

Based on some recent photos I’ve seen, I would say she did crush her face.

3 Likes

Ted Cruz is one of those guys that grew up thinking that Elmer Fudd is the protagonist of Looney Tunes.

(Also, that the moral of Green Eggs and Ham is to avoid new things.)

https://meredithmorckeldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/elmerfudd.png

3 Likes

The NRA pretends it cares about safety.

2 Likes

I don’t really care about where Cruz was pointing the gun. I am, however, very upset that he didn’t wear an ascot. It would have made the effect more convincing.

7 Likes

The shotgun is broke open. Cruz is a piece of dung, but jump on this dumbass “safety rules” bandwagon at your own risk.

13 Likes

Technically he is holding the gun properly. The over/under gun is open and the chambers are empty. You will see people with shotguns held over their shoulders at every shotgun range in the nation.

16 Likes

Jesus christ. There’s nothing wrong with the way he’s holding the gun. It’s cracked, no shells in the barrel, it couldn’t possibly injure anybody.

Please remove this from TPM. It’s fucking embarrassing.

33 Likes

Well, I, for one, would like to keep Sarah and her brood as healthy as possible (preventatively so) because it is ultimately the taxpayer who will foot all healthcare bills for that family. That said, a loose tooth or two prominently displayed in Sarah’s smile might do wonders for my mood from time to time. Alaskan schools must do one bang-up job teaching the art of grifting.

3 Likes

Yes. Where is the “Report this Post” button?

5 Likes

Yeah that a reach… Plain click-bait… I was hoping to see Ted Cruz shoving a shotgun into his mouth…

4 Likes

The original article acknowledges this (thanks TPM for not relaying that important piece of information), and claims that the muzzle should still be pointed downward. I don’t know what the safety standard is, but if it’s open and can’t possibly fire I don’t see the the problem, other than maybe just making it a good habit to point the gun in a safe direction even when there’s no danger. Yes, treat it as if it’s always loaded because even if you think it’s not loaded you might be mistaken, but I don’t think you can be mistaken about whether it’s open or closed.

4 Likes

Just once, I’d like to see a politician say leave me alone. This is my one hour a month I get a chance to clear my head and go hunting, and it’s not even safe with all you photographers hanging around.

1 Like

Safety rules? But I screwed on my little orange cap and everything!

Sides, I carry my bag of Bribe Money this way.

I was trained to carry a weapon with the barrel either pointed straight up or preferably towards the ground. An over and under weapon such as this was to be carried broken open and under an arm and pointed straight down. I’ve never carried one like he did; it may not be dangerous but it’s sloppy at best. Would you want to walk behind him with a barrel in your face?

8 Likes

I’m the same way. The business end of a gun is to be pointed at the sky or down at the ground but seeing that Texas is number one in careless firearm accidents on TPM this year and number two last year, the sight of a Senator from that state carrying a shotgun like he’s totin’ a bag of bribes from an oil company does not surprise me at all.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available