Discussion: Cops Bought Charleston Suspect Burger King After His Arrest

Discussion for article #237769

1 Like

The cops are obliged to feed detainees and did what they should have done. He’s an evil little sonofabitch, but he’s an evil little sonofabitch with rights.

43 Likes

They suggested a Waffle House but he nixed the idea, fearing a confrontation with an Aunt Jemima syrup bottle.

14 Likes

I can’t imagine many people would get taken to Burger King, though. I want to assume they were in shock at the enormity of what he’d done.

3 Likes

“Cops Bought Charleston Suspect Burger King After His Arrest.”

Burger King?

I thought the Eighth Amendment prohibited cruel and unusual punishment.

47 Likes

Right. Just because he says “please club me in the head” does not mean you do it.

Edit: I can imagine in a struggle, it could happen, but this does seem to be a case of premeditated Woppering.

2 Likes

I’d like to assume they’d do this for any detainee given the right situation. I’d like to…

3 Likes

My understanding was they just brought him Burger King not that they took him out to pick it up.

Edit: Either way not knowing the size of the force in question a fast food burger seems a pretty low hassle way to deal with feeding a prisoner one is obligated to feed. Now if it turns out they had a different procedure for feeding prisoners in place that would be another thing.

8 Likes

Dylann Roof in full cry:

1 Like

Your assumption is right if you read the links:

“He hadn’t eaten, they said, in a couple of days,” Maddox told Yahoo News. “They bought him a hamburger. They just sent out for it. I guess one of the police officers went and picked it up.”

2 Likes

My understanding is that’s normal procedure, since police stations typically don’t have food service facilities. Once he’s moved to the jail, then he gets jail food.

5 Likes

This is what I found on Snopes:

Regardless of all the straightforward reasons why police would provide food to a suspect in their custody, the plain explanation is that Roof hadn’t eaten in days, and the Shelby PD didn’t have the facilities to house him and provide him with meals while waiting for federal and Charleston authorities to arrive, so they had to dispatch someone to a nearby business to pick up some food for him

Seems like a reasonable solution to me.

14 Likes

Yes, and sometimes feeding a suspect will get them talking. A good investment of $5.

12 Likes

Thanks, I thought I remembered someone posting something like that from snopes yesterday, but was too lazy to look it up again.

1 Like

Do you think they would have done the same if the kid were black - if he even survived the arrest

7 Likes

The police give a suspect a burger!

Film at Eleven.

3 Likes

What? Burger King?! Guess the McDonald’s Happy Meal was a bit TOO celebratory for the occasion.

4 Likes

Thanks TPM for that. Please get back to me what Mr. Roof decided to have off the dinner menu.

Oh BTW TPM, TPP got fast tracked by the Senate this morning.

Thought you might want to know.

9 Likes

Bet the cop ate most of the fries on the way back :wink:

4 Likes

I am so glad for this story! I couldn’t go to sleep for wondering if the cops made Roof eat his own toes.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available