Discussion: Congress Will Not Vote On Obamacare Repeal This Week

I have health insurance through work and do benefit from ObamaCare. However, I am not being jerked around by the repubs like those on ObamaCare and Medicaid expansion. The repubs are so immoral and disgusting. May they rot in hell, if here is a hell.

4 Likes

The House Rs will never bring a vote on repealing/replacing ACA. It’s talk and bluster because it what’s they did for 6-7 years and it’s all they know how to do.

3 Likes

I called my goddamn GOP critter the other day to say this one’s even worse, I vehemently oppose etc. etc. and the poor young woman who always answers the phone just sadly said she’d let him know. I don’t think they’re having much fun in the House these days, and I don’t think it’s much better in the Senate. One thing that’s halfway a pity is that I had a friend who was the head of an agency in Interior under Obama. He’s home now but it would be fun to have his read on the mood in D.C.

3 Likes

Well, they’re teaching them to use the zero rather than just saying ‘more than fingers and toes.’

Where’s Benghazi?

1 Like

In the rearview mirror at all times.

3 Likes

I don’t know about anyone else, but I made an angry call to my GOP rep yesterday…

3 Likes

Ha! Just saw your post. I did the same yesterday.

3 Likes

High five! Guess it worked.

3 Likes

Translation: “We haven’t been able to bribe/cajole/bamboozle/threaten enough blue state Republicans to commit career suicide. Yet.”

3 Likes

“We’re still educating members,”

The best way to fall on their sword.

I count my blessings every days that I have three Democratic women as my representatives, and very little persuasion is necessary to get them to do the right thing.

3 Likes

Likely true. You almost be tempted to think they’ll treat repeal of the ACA like they do outlawing abortion: they’ll never do it but would prefer to have it as a campaign issue forever.

1 Like

I hope you all are correct. If AHCA passes I’ll probably have to drop my exchange plan and have pre-existing conditions so will be doubly screwed. I’m not so confident that the “moderates” will stand firm. I read somewhere that Frelinghuysen (sp?) was threatened with losing his chairmanship on whatever committee he’s on and I’m sure they can pressure others. It’s not that I don’t believe they are between a rock and a hard place, but every time I hear them say, we’re getting there, we just need more time… my stomach knots up. I don’t trust these moderates not to sell out their constituents. There were lots of undecideds who could flip either way, so I hope the fear of losing in 2018 works–but I don’t trust in that at all. I don’t trust any of them to do the right thing.

3 Likes

An amendment to the AHCA offered by moderate Rep. Tom MacArthur (R-NJ)

Why is TPM using that framing?

MacArthur was a “yes” vote on the previous crazy version that got pulled. So on this issue MacArthur is no “moderate” but rather a go-along party boot-licker.

2 Likes

“We’re still educating members,” he added, per the Washington Post. “We’ve been making great progress. As soon as we have the votes, we’ll vote on it.”

What’s the problem, Kevin? Obamacare is pure evil. It’s ruining lives and it’s ruining America. You guys voted multiple times to kill it off. You had more than enough votes, and you didn’t need more “education” to get them.

Slam dunk easy, and you go back to your district as heroes, right?

No, not right. We both know why, but your voters don’t. They’ve already been “educated.”

You taught them that Obamacare was designed by politicians who want to keep power in DC and make Americans dependent on the Federal government. You told them that Obamacare is a giveaway to insurance companies, forcing people to buy insurance they don’t want. You explained that Obamacare was put together in secret by bureaucrats so clueless that even men have to buy policies that cover maternity care.

Yep, they are educated. You taught them that Obamacare was a cold shit sandwich, and that the GOP would deliver a ribeye steak, grilled to perfection, rested, and served warm. You taught them that the GOP could achieve this with its business sense and its love of freedom and its understanding of how to harness the incredible power of competition and other market forces.

So, you and I understand your troubles, Kevin. You and your colleagues worked yourselves into a game of Would You Rather.

Would you rather…
–Explain to your constituents why you didn’t manage to vote to get rid of the cold shit sandwich

-or-
–Try to convince your constituents that the soggy half of a cold shit sandwich you fished out of a dumpster for them is a warm grilled ribeye?

We both know what the problem is, Kevin, but only one of us is enjoying it.

2 Likes

I agree and many of us are in similar circumstances and are right with you on this one. This will continue to be a prolonged threat and source of stress… it’s a roller coaster that I’d really like to get off of. Every time my doctor says, “okay, but I’ll need to see you again in another x months…” I just think… sure, here’s hoping I still have insurance then!

But people are keeping the pressure on. I think that’s all we can do right now? I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I hope it works out.

1 Like

They are never repealing Obamacare. Never. They are too afraid to because they know that it will bite them in the ass next time they run.

They are not going to do it for real. They had the perfect situation when they had no hope of the president signing the legislation and could repeal the thing all day every day and did - knowing perfectly well that it would have no affect.

Now it would. They knew this when we passed the ACA - it’s what they worried about and they said so - once Americans have this they won’t want to give it back.

Damn right.

3 Likes

Why, oh why does Obama hate America so much that he’s still doing all this harm to the economy even now, after we’ve been saved!?!

(and I would like once again to put in a plug for my suggestion that we add a “sarcasm font” to the inventory to allow us to mimic the rising intonation that is traditionally used to indicate snarkiness in the spoken language. My proposal is that it be “backwards italics”, but until this is adopted, you’ll just have to use your imagination…)

Over at Lawyers, Guns and Money they use the “performated” or CODE font for sarcastic remarks. It’s the </> option in the selection bar above this box.

This is preformatted text.
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available