Discussion: Congress Reels As Rexit News Hits Capitol Hill

1 Like

They may be reeling, but the GOP has its rubber stamp ready for the new nominees… We have to confirm them fast before too much information becomes available.

35 Likes

"At the rate this administration is hemorrhaging staff, pretty soon the President’s barber is going to play a big role in American foreign policy.”

Barber? What need would Trump have for someone who cuts hair? Maybe a hairstylist, sure, but someone who cuts it when it grows too long? Not an issue.

15 Likes

All remaining nominees need at least 9 Dems to reach 60 votes. 10 or 11 if one considers the health status of McCain and Cochran.

Fuck McConnell - shut the whole thing down!

@johnzdennis - the royal wig-maker?

ETA - I think @juliagrey is right - isn’t that why they needed MyPants to come in and break the tie for Devos?

21 Likes

Doesn’t it only take 51 votes to confirm a nominee?

5 Likes

This is all just delightful. We’re closer to nuclear war with one country and closer to hastening the acquisition of weapons for another, the latter in one of the most dangerous regions on earth. #MakeAmericaGlowArmageddonly

34 Likes

“I think it’s important that the President and Secretary of State are on the same wavelength and I think the President now will be,” the normally tight-lipped Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) told reporters Tuesday, adding that he hopes the Senate will act swiftly to confirm Pompeo to the role.

9 Likes

"My main concern is: does she now know that those techniques are not allowed?” Graham said. “At the time, there was doubt. Today, there is no doubt. That will drive my thinking more than anything else.”

Horse shit historical revisionism. There was no doubt back then either. It remains incredibly depressing that Graham is what passes for a “moderate” GOP Senator these days.

31 Likes

Yet Republican allies of President Trump were unsurprisingly supportive of the sudden cabinet shuffle, noting that it followed months of tension between Trump and Tillerson.

Because of course they are. As long as they have their man with “working digits” in the Oval Office, they can pass any garbage legislation their corporate masters want. The only remaining question is, can our republic survive until next January?

17 Likes

OT But I think the UAE refusing to give up information to Muller is a bigger story. Maybe in ‘Phase 2’ ?

5 Likes

and here it comes… only the best people…

2 Likes

It’s not clear to me how Tom Cotton was able to speak with Trump’s dick in his mouth.

20 Likes

“At the rate this administration is hemorrhaging staff, pretty soon the President’s barber is going to play a big role in American foreign policy.”

“American foreign policy.”

How quaint.

10 Likes

Democrats had better slow roll the confirmation process and drag out and highlight every bit of dirty laundry.

It is time to get down and dirty. Any Democrat who supports either of these appointments needs to be voted out.

12 Likes

Correct. That’s how Betsy DeVos got confirmed with Pence casting the deciding vote.

4 Likes

Non-SCOTUS nominations only require 51 votes now.

6 Likes

It’s not the UAE refusing to share their info, it’s Qatar. They’re afraid of getting on the wrong side of the fucking moron in the WH.

11 Likes

Qatar, not the UAE.

5 Likes

I saw that too…so, um, the President is on the same wavelength with…HIMSELF?!?

If this is an example of his thinking, it’s no wonder Sen. Cotton is normally “tight-lipped”!!!

4 Likes

Yes. 51 is the hurdle. There is no filibuster on non-supreme court nominees.

whoops. @wintermoon beat me to it.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available