Discussion: Conference: US Mayors May Shape National Climate Policy

Pro tip. Moderate to large cites are generally blue. Proportionally, my bet is that mayors of blue cities represent more citizens than red state governors.

Our. “Republic”. Isn’t. Working.

5 Likes

No, it isn’t.

The founders didn’t factor in the kind of authoritarianism that has grown up in the world since the 20th century.

2 Likes

Next up: Republicans claim this proves that giving the state and local governments more authority and decision-making power is a good thing. Except, environment and climate change doesn’t end at the city limits or state line. Very few things are so limited in their impact or extent, and … the feds have most of the resources for research and policy implementation. But, ya know, if the mayors can do something with climate change or anything else … do it, and do it big.

Watch certain Red states (I’m lookin’ at you, Texas) pass laws limiting municipal policies on climate change cooperation, just like they did with immigration.

1 Like

What a shame.

The country that landed the first man on the moon now turns its back on “science”. The mayors have to find innovative ways to handle the expense of reality, and they will.

They just won’t have the support of the federal government. Trump is not a world leader, by far.

1 Like

Yes, the Texas legislature believes that local control stops at the state level (red) and attempts to override initiatives at the city level (blue). What a hypocritical stance, but expected from a bunch of conservative legislators.

We need new rules about electing Senators. That’s the biggest problem.
The electoral college is next. At the point when gerrymandering can be undone, Republicans will get their proportional share in Congress, which I think is under 40%. Democrats are just so hopeless at messaging on this issue. You can bet that if Democrats were outvoted in the last Senate elections by 30 million votes nationally, but came away with more victories, you would hear about it EVERY FUCKING DAY, twice a day at least.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available