Discussion: Comey Fact-Checks Trump Tweet About Russia Hearing—During Russia Hearing

I am fixated on Mulholland Drive recently. I see something new each time. Seemed weird the first time, but it’s just the opposite. I have seen the name of this film, however.

Have you ever seen Lynch’s Elephant Man? Mel Brooks produced and he said of Lynch, “he’s Jimmy Stewart from Mars.” Haha. Gonna be a new series of Twin Peaks soon.

@blogamator

1 Like

Eraserhead is awesome, but so are Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive. If you’re into sci-fi, his version of Dune is great too.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen would fit very comfortably in today’s Republican Party. He’d be best pals with Robert Mercer and Stephen Bannon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWq15lDh8yM

2 Likes

I love Lynch.

I love his movie of Dune just because it’s a good movie but I read the whole Dune series – book after book and Lynch’s Dune is a good movie on its own the way Lolita is a good movie on its own. Neither are very well related to the books they are supposed to be depicting.

But I love Lynch. Blue Velvet is a frickin masterpiece of American cinema and I loved Twin Peaks for all its failings - there was still never anything l like it.

3 Likes

I listened for the first twenty minutes or so, and once Comey gave his opening statement about his inability to comment about anything, I turned it off. Not surprising he did so, but pretty much assured it would be a waste of my time to listen. That statement told me things would be spun either way.

Trump, deliberately.

With malice and forethought, Trump is engaging in a series of criminal acts, starting with falsely accusing a former Chiel Executive.

Party over country is not going to work in that instance.

This is the same group of people who were screaming “Lock Her Up!!” at the Republican National Convention—over emails. Who willingly sabotaged the nation’s economic recovery and our first national health care plan because we had a black Democrat in the White House. Who hobbled our response to the zika virus that is creating horrific birth defects in North and South America, and who would love to defund the CDC and every public health program it supports. Who refused to even grant a Supreme Court nominee a hearing, let alone a vote. Who threatened to have the federal government default on its debt obligations over Planned Parenthood. Their entire record over the past 8+ years is nothing but unrelenting partisanship, and damn the consequences to the country at large. This is not the same Republican Party as in 1974—the GOP is now effectively controlled by a malign partnership of the ideological descendants of the John Birch Society, ignorant science-hating Biblical Literalists, and white racists whose grandpappies burned crosses on the lawns of black people and cheered Bull Connor.

4 Likes

Right? I said to myself this morning, “The House Intelligence Committee.” Oxymoron. Although Schiff seemed to have his ducks in order.

Even though I’m a huge sci fi fan and have been since I started reading my dad’s collection when I was a kid, I never read any of the Dune series. Tried the first one, and it didn’t grab me. Maybe that’s why I like the movie as much as I do—I’m not bothered by the discrepancies between it and the books.

The BBC did a Dune series that the sci fi channel aired years ago and it was really good so far as the books go.

I love the movie too. I am a big sci fi fan. Dune haunts me. There are certain things about the way it ended that I didn’t understand. There is so much in those books.

2 Likes

I liked her A LOT, but I was honestly crushing on the young congresscritter from CA. He’s dashing.

1 Like

Yikes! I’ve never read the books nor seen the movies. Not sure if I’d want to either although many people speak highly of the books.

Swalwell? O yeah he is. I think he plays for the other team however.

The books are wonderful. I couldn’t put them down all the way through the series and I can’t remember for sure but I think there are 19. (I looked, there are 6 by Frank Herbert and I didn’t go beyond that. God I thought there were more. Sorry - I think I mixed up the number with the Aubrey/Maturin series - there are 19 of them.)

Herbert’s imagination kills me.

I was expecting epic video of the bullshit cough trick. Give it some time.

Trivia coming at ya. Mulholland Drive began life as a new and fresh sequel to Twin Peaks, and gradually morphed into a whole new thing. You can see elements of TP in it.

In theory.

1 Like

[quote=“littlegirlblue, post:103, topic:53275”]
The only thing he understands. Campaigning. [/quote]

Which is precisely why, two months into his campaign, he is still holding rallies. The actual work of governing holds no interest for him.

He is incapable of understanding the gravity of what was publicly discussed yesterday. How could they hate him and make up such false stories and fairytales about him?? How could they?? His perception of himself is so warped from the norm that, as he is doing the perp walk, he will still be declaiming the event as fake news.

2 Likes

I can believe that happened, but I realy don’t want to sit here and try to imagine or picture it in my mind. As said as it is for him that he’s like that, it’s even worse for the US and the rest of us that this is the reality of the leader of our country which is the most powerful country in the world!

Agree. People who have alarms set to notify them whenever trump belches a tweet - they’re part of the problem.

Wait!? You mean that isn’t Stephen Bannon in that clip?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available