Discussion: Cleveland: A Fractured City And Apt Place For GOP Convention

We recently had the parade for the championship Cavaliers that drew an estimated 1 million participants. The parade was late in starting and took longer than planned. People were out in the sun (upper 70ā€™s/low 80ā€™s) for hours. And there was only 1 incident as people were starting to go home when some guy shot at his girlfriend. Otherwise it was entirely peaceful.

It is a troubled place but there are hopefully enough people who care to deal with it.

2 Likes

Just read Joshā€™s blog on Michael Folk. THAT guy needs a visit from the Secret Service if not an arrest for issuing threats on Candidate Clinton.

11 Likes

Iā€™m not worried about the residents of Cleveland. Quite the contrary! Iā€™m worried for the residents. Anybody with the means to do so should take a weekā€™s vacation and go hang out at their brother-in-lawā€™s in Cincy!

5 Likes

ā€¦jobs, jobs, jobsā€¦
John Boehner, 2012

And still we wait for the Republican Congress to come back from vacation.

6 Likes

I was somewhat upset that that wasnā€™t the lead story with the ability to comment.
A RWNJ pol promotes the murder of a soon-to-be nominated candidate for POTUS-- for use of an email server-- and it will not even get MSM exposure.

Thatā€™s pretty effed up.

EDIT:
I did find this piece to be a bit comforting.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/16/politics/hillary-clinton-republican-delegate-hung/
This jackass-- WV State Rep Michael Folk-- is also a commercial pilot-- for United Airlines.
And United is investigating. If he doesnā€™t lose his job over this-- Iā€™m not sure there is any reason to book United ever again.

ā€˜Fly the Nutjob Skies-- of Unitedā€™?

Isnā€™t really all that inviting.

jw1

9 Likes

Just because others are trying to normalize the cray-cray doesnā€™t mean Josh has to.

2 Likes

(ć£ļ¼¾ā–æļ¼¾)Ū¶:cocktail::star2::beer:Ł©(Ė˜ā—”Ė˜ ) Cleveland Welcomes The Republicans (ć£ļ¼¾ā–æļ¼¾)Ū¶:cocktail::star2::beer:Ł©(Ė˜ā—”Ė˜ )

#ā€œHell is empty and all the devils are here!ā€

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeereā€™s Trump!

http://images1.villagevoice.com/imager/u/745xauto/8856305/trump.gif

3 Likes

I am cautiously optimistic about the conventionā€™s effect on Cleveland.
The national attention will draw awareness to the Nationā€™s industrial decline and perhaps draw action from the new Congress in 2017.

2 Likes

Cleveland might do well using the Pittsburgh model. The Burgh is doing well for an ex-heavy industry town. Tech/universities/health innovation/keeping the young brains around is the top layer of a plan to rebuild.

By the wayā€¦ GO PENS!

I KNOW!

He wants her ā€œexecutedā€ for email server?? Which wasnā€™t against the rules at the time and certainly not a crime!

Fucā€™ing repukes are repugnant!

3 Likes

Not only those reasons but that the State Dept email server array had been compromised. It was publicly acknowledged that State had been hacked.

2 Likes

The WV Gazette piece to which Josh links also has a reasonably comforting comments section, based on the first couple of screens I scrolled through.

3 Likes

Me too!

And why canā€™t we comment on the editors articles? Seems hypocritical to me.

1 Like

Since theyā€™ve withdrawn their plea for $6 mil from Sheldon Adelson, I wonder if the RNC will pass the plate at the convention and ask for ā€œlove offeringsā€? Well, it works really well when the Fundies and Tealibangelical preachers fleece their flocks and they are the ā€˜baseā€™ (and it looks like they wrote the party platform) of the GOP.

2 Likes

True!

But Hillaryā€™s wasnā€™t (even though the repukes want us to think otherwise). Powell used gmail for crying out loud. Please tell me why thatā€™s okay with the repukes? Oh, silly meā€¦heā€™s a gop.

Hey, get it from trumpet. I hear heā€™s a billionaireā€¦

1 Like

Well, at least Jeebusā€™ is keeping an eye on emā€™!

1 Like

Though this is just the WV Charleston Gazette.

If a threat falls in the Charleston woods-- does the nation hear it?

Thatā€™s where my EDIT/link gave some comfort-- that it was disseminated on an MSM outlet-- albeit CNN.

But back to the fact that this is on the Editorā€™s Blog is annoying.
Iā€™m familiar with Joshā€™s perspective on it being his one-way outlet for opinion-- to not tie him up with public responses, nor lose his email trove of private opinions.

But, like, he couldnā€™t be bothered to connect with one of the staff writers yesterday evening-- to post the story under a commentable byline?

Thatā€™s lazy.
A disservice to readers. And loss of click revenue for TPM.
A lose-lose.

jw1

I canā€™t believe the Republicans went with that weird ā€œElephant Readies to Hump Half a Guitarā€ (homage to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?) logo for the convention. Hereā€™s the coolā€™ and true logoā€¦and they missed it!

http://wallaroundtrump.com/wep/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/rnc-gun-logo-lg-2.gif

Most unintentional funny line offered so far: Wolf Blitzer: ā€œAmong the big names at the convention are Antonio Sabato, Jrā€¦ā€
bwwwaahaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available