Discussion: Birthers Are Now Gunning For These 4 GOP Candidates

No one is claiming they don’t have the right to throw verbal bombs, lie, or waive the traitors’ flag. But all their actions and words are subject to scrutiny and verification.

My point remains that actual historical events taken in sequence make a hash of their retreat to the “Founders’ original intent”. The first salient point is the inclusion in the original Constitution of amendment processes. There goes any meaningful claim that the original document is “sacred” or “unchanging”. The 11th Amendment (sovereign immunity) and the 12th Amendment (changing how POTUS & VPOTUS are elected) acknowledge the antebellum acceptance and utility of the amendment processes.

Then the Civil War was fought. The version of the Constitution claimed to protect States’ rights, to authorize secession, to limit federal government, and that institutionalized Slavery was re-made when the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments were ratified.

Bingham’s floor speech about the intent of the 14th Amendment, i.e., to rein in the States and to assert federal protection over U.S. citizens’, forecloses any rational person from resurrecting claims that the federal government has no role to play when state governments are depriving citizens of privileges and immunities such as due process, equal protection, and adequate education.

Your point about the failure of the Corwin Amendment just reinforces my argument about the originalists’ irrational and ahistorical arguments.

2 Likes

As a certified “birther”, allow me the opportunity to exclude Rick Santorum from the list of GOP presidential candidates whom are considered by many (not all) Tea Party conservatives to be ineligible due to their questionable natural born Citizen status.

As it turns out, Mr. Santorum’s father came to this country when he was seven years-old, after his father had been naturalized as a U.S. Citizen; thus making him (Santorum’s father), by the law of derivative citizenship, a U.S. citizen.

It’s not irrelevant to the question I was replying to. We all know that Obama was born in the US so his citizenship is not in question. And it is true that the law was changed in 1986, replacing 10 years residence with 5 after age 14 by 5 and 2. But since the question I was responding to had nothing to do with Obama, your comment is irrelevant.

1 Like

You must have missed Nicholas Cage wielding
that multi-lensed set of custom B.Franklin tri-focals in National Treasure.

That was a circa-1776 blacklight-- for the ages!

jw1

3 Likes

The floor is surely yours Mr Ex-Animus!
You have been missed.

jw1

2 Likes

On August 4th, 1961 (Obama’s birth date), the prevailing legal authority would be the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 (McCarran-Walter Act). This act states that in order for Obama’s right of blood citizenship to be passed to him, since he only had one parent who was a U.S. citizen at the time of birth, that parent must have resided in the United States for at least ten years, at least five of which had to be after the age of 14. Barack Hussein Obama, II fails the test for the right to claim “natural born citizen” status.

The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952

SEC. 301. (a) (7) a person born outside the geographical limits of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents one of whom is an alien, and the other a citizen of the United States who, prior to the birth of such person, was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than ten years, at least five of which were after attaining the age of fourteen years…

Thank you. You are very kind. Since I have been spending a lot of time trying to explain to my fellow Tea Party conservatives just why Sen Cruz also isn’t eligible to take the oath of office of the presidency of the United States, I have little time to bring the argument here as well. But let me say, to your credit, I have been declared persona non grata by far more conservative sights than liberal sights over the meaning of the nbC requirement contained in the presidential qualification clause of the U.S. Constitution.

1 Like

By all rights such a confession in polite society would result in pity and sorrow for the poor soul opening up about it. Sadly such depravity now barely motivates a shrug.

1 Like

I won’t say very strict – there’s a real meaning to the term, it’s not that it’s perfectly defined but the understanding is well understood. The understanding is that you be born of American parents with unquestioned loyalty to the United States. So for instance, had Obama been born [somewhere] other than Hawaii he would not have been eligible to run for President.

Not only is he just making shit up, he can’t string together a coherent line of thought. It’s either very strict or it’s maybe not and if Obama hadn’t been born in Hawai’i he would not have been able to run. I presume he forgot about the other states and territories. And unquestioned loyalty? Pulled that straight out o’ his ass.

3 Likes

This proviso shall be applicable to persons born on or after December 24, 1952, to the same extent as if it had become effective in its present form on that date;

Strange that they would include this line in current law if it didn’t actually apply to people born after December 24, 1952?

Well it’s a good thing that President Obama was born in the US unlike Senator Cruz.

5 Likes

The crap about Obama was all because of OMG PREZNIT IS BLAH!!!

5 Likes

Birthers may be idiots. But they are idiots with integrity!

2 Likes

David: I was wondering when you would show up. Cruz isn’t eligible because he is an awful human being whom the Framers would have booted out of the room and sent to shovel out the stables. And you know that.

PS-What happened to that pretentious ex animo you used to end every post with? I see even you got tired of it.

4 Likes

Luckily, I guess, he was just an acquaintance but I did sort of used to be a bit envious of his lifestyle, 25 years ago anyways. He was successful in his business and basically took our cold winters off and went to Mexico.
I found out that he was doing lots of drugs and staying drunk for the most part and hiding in Mexico. Plus, I witnessed him being very dismissive to his wife and child and treating them like servants. So, with the birther thing, the gun thing, the always stoned thing and the authoritarian thing not to mention that he was a fairly crude person, I had had plenty enough.
I don’t need friends that badly or, that bad, if you know what I mean.

2 Likes

Without mentioning sedition and circling back to that reference 10 or 20 times, your point is not well made or taken.

And, there are not classes or groups of birthers, there are just birthers. You and the clowns mentioned in this article are all in the same boat, the Birther Voyager.

5 Likes

Definitely not MoORIsh!1!@!2!AMPERSAND!

2 Likes

What about the guys brandishing the Confederate flag ? I guess we “include them out” then ?

2 Likes

Barely a shrug from you, perhaps, but if we abandon the natural born citizenship clause now, Mr. Dee, it will be exploited by others who come after Sen. Cruz who may not share his political convictions and expose us all to the greatest threat to the Republic the founders and framers of the US Const., knew well, feared most, and warned us all against: the loss of our freedoms and liberties not from an external military threat but from political subversion from within our own political system.

There is no absolute, fail-safe, clause or provision that will protect the Republic from just such a fate, but if we weaken this provision now that fate will come sooner rather than later and future generations of Americans will look back at this time and calling the names of those who didn’t give a shrug, and giving you the blame

As “birthers” have pointed out in the past, SVG, birthism has nothing to do with the color of one’s skin. Obama wasn’t the only, nor even the first, 2008 presidential candidate sued in federal court over his Art. II, §1, cl. 5 natural born Citizen qualifications. Those dubious honors belong to John McCain.

The fact that Obama admits his father was a British subject, and that he, himself, was born by ‘descent’ a British subject, a foreign national, is more than enough to question his presidential qualifications. True, that is not how our courts have looked at this issue, but it is a legitimate question of constitutional law which has nothing to do with the color of one’s skin.

The same applies to Sen. Cruz. His father, like Obama’s, was not a US citizen at the time of Ted’s birth. No one can be a natural born U.S. Citizen not having been born exclusively under U.S. sovereignty, which is la raison d’être of the phrase:“natural born Citizen” being inserted into the presidential qualification clause of the US Const. in the first place.

As to the ex animo sign-off, as Dylan says: “Things have changed.” Cruz and Obama, and any other presidential candidate not born exclusively under U.S. sovereignty, by natural law, cannot be natural born citizens.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available