Discussion: Bill Maher: Ahmed Mohamed's Clock 'Looked Exactly Like A Bomb!' (VIDEO)

The teachers and police did NOT know that at the time, you could still stuff in a significant amount of explosives into that case and do some major damage, ALL they seen was a closed case with a digital clock counting down, YOU would freak out too had you been there. The media’s obsession with refusing to offend Muslims is frighteningly feeding into the hype. You need to watch Bill Maher’s initial Real Time commentary regarding this incident, and listen not only to ALL what he is saying, but listen to what Mark Cuban says as well. http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/09/the-muslim-clock-boy-is-a-set-up-2/

I challenge you to listen to everything Bill Maher is actually saying, listen to his logic and reasoning, then listen to what Mark Cuban is saying, they both actually make sound, valid points, it’s not bigotry when it comes to truth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGit-XltUB4

Nope, I wouldn’t have freaked out, but if I had “freaked out”, I would’ve called the fucking bomb squad. I wouldn’t have carted Ahmed, and what I believe to be a bomb, down to the principals office. I would’ve rushed the other kids out of the classroom, pulled the fire alarm, and told everyone to evacuate. That’s what sane people do when they think someone has an active bomb.

I watched that episode because Chris Matthews was on it. I saw it live, so, no, I don’t need to listen to Mark Cuban again tell us what he heard from some unnamed person or that Ahmed’s sister was coaching him. What he’s calling “coaching” may very well have been an excited older sibling butting into her little brother’s conversation, saying things like “don’t forget to tell him about…” and “oh, and you should tell him…”

Utter batshittery from a hate site. No, thanks.

2 Likes

Right. Every father wants his kid to be humiliated and arrested in school so the dad can score some political points. Makes sense to me.

Richard Dawkins is an excellent writer and brilliant scientist but he is blind to his own bigotry.

I’m as Liberal as Liberal can be, but I will tell you that even though I agree with you that it’s a hate site, even those can be right from time to time, even they can show a shred of truth, Faux Noise was still right 18% of the time. The REAL point is, is that in reality, you would NOT have known what you would have done at the time. Also, in reality, if you had reacted like that, you yourself would have been arrested as well for creating a panic, the same as yelling fire in a movie theater. I guess you might have forgotten, even Chris Matthews agreed with Maher, you WEREN’T THERE, you’re ONLY HEARING AND READING what you’ve been fed by the media. Mark Cuban called the boy and his sister WAS COACHING HIM WHAT TO SAY, the sister was also accused of wanting to bomb ANOTHER SCHOOL, the father a political figure in Egypt, Irving, Texas, only 25 MILES from Garland, TX, where there was that shooting by an ISIS sympathizer last May. The author of that hate site STILL investigated AND UNCOVERED some more disturbing things, like that the digital clock WAS COUNTING DOWN when he showed another teacher. There are things being discovered and reported from both sides that the media doesn’t want to report, and that’s what’s real scary.

Right so your argument is that the school and police aren’t bigots, but are “just” grossly incompetent and criminally negligent for failing to order an evacuation of the school and bringing in the bomb squad to deal with what you allege they believed to be an actual bomb? The idea that they thought it was a real bomb doesn’t pass the smell test and even if they thought it was merely a “hoax” bomb, which requires us to ignore the fact that he had previously shown it to another teacher who he told it was a clock, it doesn’t justify their handling of the situation or prolonged questioning of a minor minus parental or legal representation.

4 Likes

Bill Maher proving he is a bit hit or miss regarding this topic (the threat of Islamic extremism).

What a putz. Now I feel stupid for defending him on this earlier.

And even if she was “coaching” him what is so absurd about a 14 year-old child receiving some coaching from an older sibling when doing an interview for national media?

2 Likes

What a surprise. A 14-year old geeky kid assembles something to impress his engineering teacher who tells him to keep it in his backpack. So he does, until 6th period English class, when the alarm goes off and the teacher mistakes it for a bomb. Ahmed is a geeky kid with poor communication skills, so he can’t exactly explain why her messed around with clock parts to see what they could do.

You are amping this astronomically into something preposterous, assigning all kinds of nefarious motives, absurdly insisting he should have had the reasoning and foresight of an adult, and be articulate in the explanation of his “invention.” Really? Do you actually know any 14-year olds?

2 Likes

Ask ANY Lawyer or Judge in a courtroom what coaching can be perceived at during a trial, then ask that question again. I will tell you, coaching will get that lawyer in serious trouble and be grounds for a mistrial as well as bring that lawyer up for disciplinary action.

Hotlinking to nutjob sites is not allowed.

2 Likes

Just because they might be right once in awhile and might show facts that might disagree with your personal views?

Bill’s been watching too many Road Runner cartoons… If the clock looked exactly like a bomb, then I look exactly like Brad Pitt… (Hint: I don’t).

As others have pointed out, Maher’s Islamaphobia is making him unwatchable, in spite of all the other stuff I agree with him on.

1 Like

So when you are trying to scare your school with a hoax bomb the absolute first thing you do is take it straight to your science teacher? Yeah, right.

The science teacher who had a clue about how crazy the rest of the school was and told Ahmad not to show it around should have confiscated the item and given it back to Ahmad at the end of the school day.

3 Likes

Say Bill, if Ahmed was named Joe Smith would it have looked like a bomb?

1 Like

Why the fuck should I believe anything reported from a site you yourself admit is a hate site?

You are the one claiming they thought it was an actual bomb and I don’t care if I wasn’t there, if they thought it was an actual bomb, as you claim, and did nothing to protect the students in their charge it was an act of borderline criminal negligence.

[quote=“DNealWinchester, post:115, topic:26916, full:true”]
Ask ANY Lawyer or Judge in a courtroom what coaching can be perceived at during a trial, then ask that question again. I will tell you, coaching will get that lawyer in serious trouble and be grounds for a mistrial as well as bring that lawyer up for disciplinary action.
[/quote]I’m sorry I missed the part where a media interview was a trial in a court of law bound by the same rules that govern the relationship between client and attorney.

5 Likes

Ahmed seems like a sweet kid to me – but also clueless. His invention is kind of a mess and regardless of the innocence in which it was created, it did come out rather menacing looking to the untrained eye --most especially to people who hold a latent paranoia about his ethnicity. I am saddened that his teacher’s didn’t discuss the clock with Ahmed – they would have understood that he simply desired their praise, attention and encouragement. Calling the police was an obscene over-reaction. However, what is bugging me now is the counter-over-reaction. Everyone is celebrating this kid as some misunderstood genius. We are all sorry he was racially profiled – and genuinely worried about the long term effects on his impressionable psyche. But then, he is showered with gifts – TV appearances. invitations to the White House and MIT, Apple Watches, etc. completely out of proportion to the grievance he suffered. I think there is actually a very particular racial element in the fawning attention – seems motivated by an underlying fear of Ahmed and other Muslims as in: “Please don’t turn on us – we embrace you.” Perhaps this makes sense in a symbolic way – to send a message – but what of the actual kid? All this undeserved attention and over-praising is not good for any developing person. Ahmed will eventually be let down really hard when the public bores of him or if he fails to live up to the genius which is now expected of him.

A very good observation and point, which he should have done, but his failure to do so is what helped to create this entire mess.

Once upon a time, long, long ago, Dennis Miller was smarter and somewhat less bitter.

1 Like

In fact, we don’t have to guess what happened. This much is already known: he assembled this device and brought it to his engineering teacher first thing in the morning. The teacher told him he should keep it in his backpack, which he did, and didn’t mention it to anyone else. Late in the day, in English class, the alarm went off, the teacher told him to turn off the alarm and he pulled it out but couldn’t exactly explain it well. The police are called, the kid is arrested, handcuffed and marched off to be interrogated.

So he wasn’t trying to scare people with a hoax bomb. He didn’t try to intimidate any teacher. Trying to project his parents’ opinions on him is really stretching it. It seems you’re looking for some far-fetched way to blame him for something he didn’t do.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available