Discussion: AP Poll: Most Think Trump Has Illegally Or Unethically Colluded With Russia

2 Likes

Understatement of the Year / Decade from the Department of the Painfully Obvious.

13 Likes

I loved this respondent’s responses - especially the last ones.

But Mary Ruth Stephenson, 83, of Kentucky says she’s not yet sure whether Trump has broken thelaw.

“Unethical, yes. I mean the whole picture of that man is unethical. Illegal? I’ll just have to hold that in abeyance until I find out more about what went down,” said Stephenson, a registered Republican who says she’s unhappy with the current GOP.

and…

“I don’t see how anybody could be unbiased, but if he doesn’t show it in his investigation or his conclusions, that’s integrity,” she said of Mueller. “I have to go on what so many people have said: They believe in him. They trust him. They think he’s honest.”Though, she couldn’t say the same thing about

Congress.“What a bunch of crap,” she said.

25 Likes

I have to say, my overall first impression is that these numbers are a fucking disaster for the GOP. Complete. Fucking. Disaster. It’s a crying shame that the Dems are so utterly fucking incompetent when it comes to taking advantage of something like this.

11 Likes

Gotta be some way to extrapolate the election effect from these numbers. If the vote shadows the patterns here, the impending wave is a tsunami of historic proportions.

5 Likes

“something that’s basically water under the bridge” is really an iceberg ahead for the SS Trump…

3 Likes

Can you imagine what it would be like if this was a Dem administration? The GOP would be howling 24/7 for the Dem president’s head, and the media gleefully would be giving them a stage for their rage.

6 Likes

Spaeking of lying

20 Likes

I think the Dems are playing it just right. Let the investigation play out. Running around screaming for impeachment now doesn’t help. 32% of the people in this poll only think he’s done something unethical. Once the Mueller investigation is completed, and there’s hard evidence, that’s when Dems should start demanding impeachment. To do so beforehand only makes it look political, like we’re trying to undo an election because we don’t like him or his policies. That can create a backlash and even sympathy. Even when most people dislike someone, they generally don’t want to see them treated unfairly. The smart play is to wait for the evidence and then unload with both barrels.

42 Likes

That comparison is a thing of beauty and clarity (to the cognizant).

2 Likes

Republicans are running toward the black hole of Trump when common sense tells you to run quickly in the other direction.

If almost 70% of America thinks Trump did something illegal or unethical regarding Russia, it’s going to be a bloodbath for them at the polls.

Americans are a proud and strong people. The envy of countries all over the world. We don’t appreciate being subservient to Russia and minions of that murderous thug, Putin.

9 Likes

Both Nanez and Stephenson, like 63 percent of Americans, say Trump has tried to impede or obstruct the investigations into whether his campaign had Russian ties. According to the survey, 86 percent of Democrats, 67 percent of independents and 24 percent of Republicans agree.

To me, this is perhaps the most important finding in this poll. Because it suggests that if Trump tried to remove Mueller, that will be received by the vast majority of Americans as further evidence of Trump’s obstruction of justice.

In particular, the percentage of independents who believe Trump has already obstructed justice is very, very bad news for Team Trump. Trump cannot win re-election without much better support from independents than most polls are showing, both on his approval rating, and on many specific issues. And there are many House and Senate seats that the GOP needs significant support from independents in order to win. Their poor standing with independents is a very serious problem for them – strong base support can get the job done in heavily red districts, but beyond that they need more than just the GOP base and the minority of “Republican in all but name” independents. They need enough actual swing-voting independents to put them over the top.

By the way, I am sick and tired of charts and graphs that show the opinion of “all voters,” and Dems and Reps, but for some reason don’t show the results for independents. Leaving that crucial bit of information out of the graphics gives the impression that the divide is simply a Dem-Rep partisan divide. Including the independents makes it quite clear that on a whole host of issues – Trump’s approval rating, opinions about Obamacare repeal, the Russia investigation, and so on – independents are increasingly siding with Dems and against Trump and the GOP.

18 Likes

Agree. The DNC should–right now–be running bio-infomercials on Mueller touting his military service and what a straight shooter he’s always been, serving several presidents. They need to do everything they can to counter the charges being leveled against him by the right-wing noise machine. But…they won’t.

1 Like

I don’t think Trump apologists even try to deny Trump’s lack of ethics or his illegal activities; they accept it and don’t care. Pointing out Trump’s lack of qualifications for his office, his utter disregard for the law and his willingness to lie nearly every time he opens his puckered maw is of no concern to his supporters; they think it’s cool and “mavericky”. They want someone to rule like an authoritarian despot, just as long as it’s THEIR despot.

8 Likes

Collusion is most definitely unethical but as far as I understand it not illegal. And I think that trump was deeply involved in the collusion that went on during the campaign. I also am convinced that trump committed obstruction of the collusion investigation may times, that mst obvious and public was the firing of Comey in which trump gave as his excuse the Russia investigation. I do not see how it could be more obvious than that.

3 Likes

Would this be an appropriate time to shout, Benghazi!!!1!!11!!1 ?

5 Likes

I like it!!!

10 Likes

donnie is just a good capitalist …

Let me tell you … the Biggliest ! … believe me –

I’m certainly not suggesting that. There IS a balance to be struck. It’s just that the Dems are such a fucking pansy-assed lightweights, we’re always trying to fight the scale trying to top the other way. I hear what you’re saying, but it’s partly borne of the same sort of fear of what might happen if we do start fighting back…which is understandable (but only to an extent) because the MSM absolutely holds Dems/liberals to a different standard…but it needs to end. It has to end. They are literally LITERALLY gutting the foundations of our government and society in order to make their last-ditch play for permanent power. The judiciary is being EVISCERATED in a manner that is going to take DECADES to fix and we are being left with ZERO backstop on the GOP having control over the other two branches. None. Our elections processes and systems are under constant, pointed attack. Rights are being walked back under the guise of religious freedom. Law enforcement is being deliberately turned into a tool of neo-fascist alt-right ideation. The whole thing could topple unless we can get rid of this clown. There needs to be a sense of immediacy to the Dems actions and strategies, but it is entirely absent. When it all comes crashing down, I fully expect them to express shock that standing around holding their dicks didn’t fix or prevent it.

And there is hard evidence. We talk about it every day here. The only reason people don’t really think so is that it’s not getting enough play (and it’s all rather complicated, but set that aside for now). It doesn’t get enough play because Dems don’t talk about it enough. They need to learn to go into repeat-mode. Repeat repeat re-fucking-peat. Nonstop. Relentless. Merciless. Bordering on mindless. Asked a question about something else? Who fucking cares…REPEAT. On a TV show to talk about something else? Who fucking cares…REPEAT. Circle back around. Drag the topic of discussion kicking and fucking screaming back to the demonstrable facts over and over and over again. Don’t take no for an answer. Talk over people while being interrupted. Insist on being heard. Make an ass of yourself because it’s our one fucking chance. NO QUARTER.

Now, that being said, there are certainly ways to accomplish all of that without the bombast I usually employ because I know this is just a chat board. Pressing the advantage here doesn’t mean running around screeching for impeachment. It doesn’t mean television hysterics or unnecessary theatrics. Being forceful in your messaging doesn’t require going batshit crazy (but it can be served by a willingness to put aside personal embarassment…or have we learned nothing from watching folks like Spicer and Sanders the past year?). Nor am I suggesting that we should take unreasonable or overreaching positions. But silence? Waiting in the wings? Kid gloves? Navel gazing? Effete one-off press conference snark sessions? Useless.

3 Likes

His ardent supporters will stay ardent up until his actions affect them directly. Then things will change.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available