Discussion: AP: HB2 Set To Cost North Carolina More Than $3 Billion In Lost Business

Yup. It’s all about exclusion, intimidation and dehumanization, and the message is an age-old one: “you are not equal, you are not welcome, you are The Other.” We have a long way to go.

2 Likes

What pisses me off most is that HB2 did NOTHING to make it safer for women and children in restrooms. What it did do was make some people think that trans folks are aggressors in restrooms when they are just there to do what everyone else does in bathrooms, and it takes the eye of law enforcement and the public away from the predator men that do prey on women and children.

7 Likes

it also helps the film industry is getting more international (even if representation is still narrow in Hollywood). If we’re just going by religion though, yes it’s gone down. Sharply:

As such the film industry sees no need to pander to an increasingly narrow audience when they can make money with a wider one. It’s why the “boycotts” for stuff like Rogue One flopped

God will send us twice that amount for keeping the preverts out of the bathrooms!

So much government regulation, costing the taxpayers so much money! Someone needs to drain that swamp there in North Carolina!

1 Like

They were trying it on here in Tennessee, too—but the state Senate maneuvered it into oblivion, at least temporarily.

But far-right judgmental assholes never stop being who they are—so there is a good chance that this idiocy will be tried again, because the right-wingers never tire of trying to impose their narrow and bigoted beliefs on the rest of us.

Hopefully the same fate awaits Texas’ Gov Greg Abbott, Lt Gov Dan Patrick and AG Bill Paxton.

1 Like

Where’s the NC Freedom Caucus when you need it?!? We need freedom from all of this government environmental regulation of our public bathrooms!

OMG! Somebody light a match! Please!!! The Republicans really let loose a foul one!

NC in the Championship Basketball Game vs SC…Wonder how much NC would be making had the championship game been held in-state…

1 Like

Well…that’s because old Walt is still waiting around in his ice cube. He was extremely conservative and very authoritarian business wise. I read a bio of him once, very cringe worthy.

Simple question: How many TPM readers carry their birth certificates around with them?

Do these simple-minded lawmakers want to hire moniters to check birth certificates at the doors, or can you just bring it in once and have your gender at birth tattooed on your arm, kinda like they did in Germany?

1 Like

What I love about the Texas Sentate’s own attempt at bathroom insanity is that idiot Lt. Guv. Patrick poopoo’s all the economic info out of NC, saying it is basically fake news, while the very conservative business establishment is even against this bill because they ain’t stupid. I wish Jerry Jones would just smack Patrick in the face and tell him to sit down. He may be the only person who can penetrate that thick skull.

Is 12 years a standard unit of cost projections? It sound kind of random to me. Why not just say $300 million / year?

Virginia is for lovers ! OBX for Hater ?

Wingnuts: Thats a very very small price to pay to continue our White Jesus approved Bigoted lifestyle.
Ryan: We can cover this by simply providing more tax cuts. White people can hate for free.

This story is from about 2003 when I had a friend who was a post-operative male to female transsexual. She was attending the National Western Stock Show in Denver and in fact was one of the event’s volunteers. As you can imagine the attendance at this event is rather conservative politically and culturally (think rural and cowboy). While using the women’s rest room one day she was confronted by a middle-aged woman who was certain that she was a man dressed in women’s clothing. After considerable argumentation, the middle-aged woman called the police who arrived to asked for my friend’s driver’s license. As the driver’s license had been changed to reflect the correct gender, the policeman told the other woman she had no legitimate complaint. However, my friend–who was on the nervy side–was not content with that degree of vindication and decided to pull down her pants to show the other woman her expertly reconstructed genitalia. The complaining woman fled in haste.

2 Likes

Can’t wait until liberals get control of this “big government” power that conservatives are comfortable with.

And these same pea brains are the ones who want to “run America [into the ground] like a business.”
They talk a good game. No one sells Snake Oil quite like them.
Well, the pathetic little state of North Carolina, who decided to invest in Snake Oil Futures have just gotten the “Strong Negative Return” on their investment.
Let’s check this out:

PRESIDENT VOTES
Trump 2,339,603 51%
Clinton 2,162,074 47%
Johnson 127,794 3%
Source: Huff Post
Well, well. another state goes into the “Idiot” basket, along with Florida and so many other places.
Maybe, just maybe, people down there will learn someday about voting against their own interests.
Until then, in whatever far off century that might be, I hope the people in North Carolina have all sorts of “fun” paying for this, in all sorts of ways.
I do not like to see anyone suffer. The Republicans want 99% of the people to suffer.
Maybe this is the only way that 99% of the people in North Carolina will learn a lesson.
Some lessons just have to be inflicted in order to be learned, I suppose.
Sorry, but I’m not sorry.

3.76 is closer to 4b than 3.

That sounds like a lot of money, not to mention that once people get used to going elsewhere-they’ll stick to it. SO, there is a reverberating affect.

Bring that shit to Colorado yo, we are all about tourist cash and visitors. And we’ve got skiing and legal weed too, so bonus.

I live in SC, on the NC/SC border about 35 miles from downtown Charlotte. Over the years, liberals and moderates in SC have looked to North Carolina to set an example as a SANE Southern state. Art Pope, Pat McCrory, and other conservative crazies in the NC legislature have really messed up NC in recent years. Of course in SC it’s been the confederate flag flying over the state capitol for many years that caused us to lose money from events we could have hosted and to be the object of scorn. Thank you Nikki Haley - although it shouldn’t have taken the Charleston Massacre to move you to take action, at least you took action on the flag (unlike former governor Mark Sanford - it would have been nice if you had been interested in paving the roads). So this year we get some of the NCAA tournament games in Greenville SC because the NCAA doesn’t want to play in North Carolina. What happens? Idiots in pickup trucks flying confederate flags drive around in the streets of Greenville as a protest. At least both the University of South Carolina women’s and men’s teams have made it to the Final Four. I never thought I would live long enough to see THAT. One of things wrong in both Carolinas is that we had enough conservatives here already who were natives but a lot of conservative people move here when they retire because of low taxes and conservative politics - they make it worse. So let me say this: CONSERVATIVE YANKEES - GO HOME.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available